How do I connect to the ESU Wireless with Windows Vista?
Emporia State University Wireless Quick Start Setup Guide (Windows Vista)
Images Referenced are attached at the End of this Document if Needed
1. Click the Windows Menu and select Control Panel
2. Select Network and Internet (Image 1)
3. Select Network and Sharing Center (Image 2)
4. There is a Tasks menu on the left hand side. (Image 3)
a. Select Manage Wireless Networks. This will bring up the “Manage wireless
networks that use (Wireless Network Connection)” menu
5. Select Add (Image 4)
6. Select Manually create a network profile (Image 5)
7. On the “Enter information for the wireless network you want to add” screen enter the following options: (Image 6)
a. Enter ESU for the Network name. Please type it in all capitals.
b. Under Security type select WPA-Enterprise
c. Under Encryption Type select TKIP
d. Click Next
8. The next screen will say “Successfully added ESU”; however, some changes are needed
to make the connection work correctly on our network. (Image 7)
a. Click Change Connection Settings
9. You should see the ESU Wireless Network properties window
a. On the Connection Tab do not make any changes (Image 8)
b. Select the Security Tab (Image 9)
i. Next to “Protected EAP (PEAP)” select Settings…
Note: There is an option that states “Cache user information for
subsequent connections to this network”. If you choose this option
it will remember your user name and password for future logins.
When your password expires you will need to come here to
remove this check mark so that you can enter your new password.
Once you enter your new password, feel free to use this option
c. On the Protected EAP Properties window: (Image 9)
i. Remove the check mark next to Validate server certificate.
1. NOTE: ESU strives to use the highest security possible when
authenticating its users. We do have a certificate to encrypt your
user credentials. Microsoft Windows does not list it as a valid
certificate. If you have questions about this process then please
contact the TCS HelpDesk at 341-5555.
ii. Under select authentication method: (Image 10)
1. Remove the check mark next to Enable Fast Reconnect
a. This can cause you to fail authentication.
2. Next to “Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)” select
iii. Remove the check mark next to “Automatically use my Windows logon
name and password (and domain if any) (Image 11)
1. If left checked, this will cause you to fail authentication
2. Click OK
iv. Click OK
v. Click OK
vi. Close the “Manage Wireless Networks” window
vii. Once the “ESU” Wireless Network is discovered by your wireless card,
you will see a pop-up in the lower right hand corner stating “Additional
information is required to connect to ESU” (Image 12)
1. Click this pop-up
viii. You will be prompted to enter credentials: (Image 13)
1. Enter your ESU User Name (used for email and Buzz In)
2. Enter your Password in the appropriate field
3. Leave the Logon Domain field blank
4. Click OK
d. Windows Vista will now negotiate the type of connection. Nothing will pop up
on your screen at this time.
i. If your authentication fails, you will see the pop-up mentioned above reappear.
Please try to login again before calling for assistance.
ii. Once you are successfully connected, there will be a small icon in the
lower right corner of your screen. (Image 14)
10. You should now be connected to the ESU Wireless Network. If you have any questions, or require assistance, please contact the TCS HelpDesk at 341-5555.